Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Olivia Arpin
    Participant

1. I believe in this chapter there were many decisions that kept people alive. First and foremost I believe that the nurses deciding to ventilate the patients by hand once their generators failed was the most prominent decision made to save lives.
    2. The man calling for rescue in the middle of the night with the boats seemed to be a diversion from the upcoming situation to attempt to rob citizens. Pets were brought to the hospital because the staff did not want to abandon their pets knowing if they did, they would unfortunately pass away. Cloverleaf is an important part of this story because it was the landing pad used for transporting patients in and out.
    3. Upon Mark’s arrival at the hospital he notices his mother dirty and covered in urine. I feel that he did not have a point because he was not able to see all the nurses had been through in the past few hours. In addition, with their severe staff shortage the nurses had to take patients who were most likely to survive to less likely. I believe he was viewing the situation from an outsider perspective.
    4. The priority system for evacuating patients did not fit within accepted triage practices. The system they were using did not follow the standard rules of putting patients first based on their need for medical attention. The utilitarian approach was not the best approach because it’s about ensuring that all the patients get the maximum care they can receive, though in this situation supplies and staff were very limited. In this situation I believe they not only did what they could, but also went beyond their bodies limits to ensure that those who had the highest chances of survival were cared for. When organ sharing, the best approach is to put those who need it the most in front of those who could survive without it longer.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top