Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Natalia Virgin
    Participant

1. Making life-and-death choices between patients, Dr. Laura Evans has six generators with fifty-six beds,
    she is got a generator to support her electricity needs for the patient; she did not make a tough decision
    in facing the crisis like those doctors at Memorial Medical Center Hospital experienced during the Katrina
    hurricane 2005. Who is going to be responsible for those fifty-six patients’ life if the worse happens?,
    this is the remaining question I can think of.

2. Well prepared for the natural challenges, rebuild strategies, and provides more supply.
    FEMA, Federal Emergency Management Agency boost hurricane Sandy response.
    AMA, The state society, is very assertive in supporting Dr. Pou, saying that she acted in the best
    interests of her patients; according to the American Medical Association’s Code of Medical Ethics,
    “Individual physicians must provide urgent medical care during disasters.” I feel safer and well-protected
    to work under unknown nature circumstances that I may experience in the future.

3. Maryland’s strength points: Maryland has done extensive planning, including infrastructure improvements,
    but Maryland might get overwhelmed by Hurricane Harvey or Irma. According to Minority Whip Steny Hoyer.
    Individual medical choices of actions are more important than the value of moral action under a disaster
    circumstances.

4. The story makes me feel that American Medical Association protected medical providers in making tough
    decisions on or during a disaster based on circumstances with their medical ethic and moral value.
    The justice system should do some investigation before taking anyone to trial.

5. I agree with Roger Bernier; the public/people’s opinion should also be considered when the decision is
    made. I believe in our Constitution; however, opening up with “We the People” immediately
    affirms that the Constitution is of the people, for the people, and by the people of the United States.

6. My education will teach me ethical and moral values and empower me with skills. No one should
    be judged on their medical decisions during a disaster, especially if the action is made in a tough
    situation without anyone higher or above them to make the decisions, and the only consideration was giving
    comfort on critical care.
    I can’t imagine myself being in that situation, still having to care for my patients for days without any
    supply, no power, no water, and a lack of sleep without knowing when help comes if I am going to survive.
    No one can judge them; to me, those doctors, nurses, and all the staff who refused to give up are heroes.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top