Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carrie Anne Weeks
    Participant

1.) Narrative writing is a picture in your mind about a character or more than one character who encounters a problem in a plot line. The plot lines can make up a novel, short write, a story with a moral or lesson at the end of it, screenplay, plays, TV show episode script, personal biography, and history. Narrative writing can start as a brainstorm where the writer adds in the characters, the setting for the characters, the plot and problem, the conflict and resolution for the plot. Brainstorming for narrative writing also includes creating an atmosphere, filling in details about the problem or plot of the narrative, developing a viewpoint, and establishing a purpose of why you are writing your narrative.

2.) Analytical writing is using your critical thinking to review what you have read (for example reading an article), and demonstrating a thought process, details and information from an article broken down into parts, of the given conclusion of the writer. The process of analytical writing is choosing a point of view, writing an introduction with a thesis statement, organizing the body of writing, usually with supporting facts, and clear topic sentences throughout the essay.

3.) Expository writing is used to explain, inform, describe, give information, and inform the writer. For example, news stories on TV and in newspapers are written precisely for the reader or a wide audience, but they are also written for the writer. The news lets people know what is going on out in our world. There are many kinds of expository essays – cause and effect, process, problem and solution, compare and contrast, definition, and classification. The elements of expository writing are organization, topic sentence, transitions, evidence and examples and conclusion – what the expository writing piece is all about.

4.) Persuasive writing is a type of writing that the writer uses words to convince the reader their opinions, thoughts, ideas are correct. And various writing techniques are used to convince the reader too, such as establishing the reader’s trust, understanding the reader’s purpose, paying attention to language in the writing – the tone, being repetitive and the use of rhetoric to invoke a strong emotional response from the reader. For example, the writer on a soapbox clearly speaks to a reader encouraging the reader to join their point of view and encourage action. Persuasive writing uses logic and reason to convince or influence that one particular idea is more valid than another. It attempts to persuade a reader to adopt a certain point of view or to take a particular action.

5.) Argumentative writing is a piece of writing where you investigate a topic, collect, generate, and evaluate evidence and establish a position on a topic. The five major components of argumentative writing are topic or claim, reason, evidence and facts, anti-topic or counterclaim, and rebuttal or conclusion. Argumentative writing uses evidence and facts, plus the writer’s thoughts and opinions, to support the claim it’s making and encourage strong reasoning in the writing.

As for the type of writer I am, I enjoy creative, expository, and narrative writing and reading creative, expository, and narrative writing. I have least favorite types of writing, which are persuasive and argumentative writing. I remember being in college English classes and trying to decipher facts and details to support my opinions and thoughts in my essays, trying to convince my readers my opinion matters strongly, and which writer’s tactics to use to get an emotional response from my reader. And being stuck sometimes writing details and finding more evidence to support my opinion in my writing. It took a lot for me to accomplish a decent piece of persuasive and argumentative writing in school. Analytical writing reminds me of high school English classes – science and literature classes especially. I do love writing and I always have! That’s my thoughts.

Carrie Anne Weeks
    Participant

Sorry all, this is my discussion post. I lost and then found my other one. Yikes! Sorry!

Carrie Anne

Carrie Anne Weeks
    Participant

😬😬😬

Michelle Chapman
    Participant

you put a lot of work into this and it shows great detail great explanation of the five writing styles.

Melissa White
    Participant

This was very good writing. I enjoyed reading it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top