Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brianna Ledger
    Participant

Why did the small group of doctors decide to meet? What decisions were made at this gathering? At the official gathering in the morning?
    The small group of doctors decided to meet to figure out what to do faced in such a crisis. They decided that the “Crisis standard of care” which they believed consisted of euthanizing patient that were not likely to survive the method to end their suffering. In the morning meeting they planned out which patients would be least likely to survive.
    Finally, the open conversation about euthanasia comes out. What side does Dr. Deichmann take? Can you tell that Susan Mulderink thinks? Dr. Pou? Dr. Cook? What are your thoughts?
    Dr. Deichmann disagrees with the concept of euthanasia and believes that they should continue to give the best care. Susan Mulderink opposes it but is definitely in crisis. As for Dr. Pou she see euthanasia as a last resort to end their suffering. Dr. Cook was eager and ready to follow protocol in this crisis. I personally believe in taking care of everyone to the end, whatever that may look like. I would as a nurse try to keep them as comfortable as possible.
    What tensions arise between caring for pets and caring for people? Do you think that somehow euthanizing pets made it easier for some of the medical staff to accept euthanizing patients? Later boats allowed the evacuation of pets, making the earlier deaths senseless.
    Yes I think that euthanizing the pets made it easier for some of the medical staff to rationalize and start to accept euthanizing patients. I think if they just waited and tried to make it on what little they did have, committing murder isn’t excusable.
    How are you feeling as the last of the patients who will leave Memorial alive load onto the helicopters?
    Relieved. Haunted by the crisis. I am thankful for those who made it out of memorial alive. You can’t help but wonder how many more people might still be alive if wasn’t for their desperate need to try to control the crisis in the only way the knew how.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top