Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Sheri Fink displayed incredible courage. It must have been really tough for her to tackle this situation and write about it. I’m pretty sure there were folks who didn’t want this book to be written, and it must have stirred up quite a bit of controversy. Now, let’s talk about the emotional challenges she had to deal with. Listening to stories about people stuck in a dire situation, having to make the heart-wrenching choice between life and death, and interviewing witnesses firsthand – I think that would be really emotionally draining. Remaining objective while writing this book couldn’t have been easy, whether she wanted to or not.

As I read the prologue, I couldn’t help but wonder why things unfolded the way they did. Why wasn’t the hospital better prepared when it was supposed to be a safe haven? And why did they wait so long to announce the evacuation?

I believe the doctors, after witnessing their patients suffer for days, just wanted to spare them any more agony. I can’t say for sure what I would do in that situation, and I don’t think anyone really can. When you’re surrounded by hopelessness and chaos, who knows how anyone would react?

The plan was for hospitals to remain open, with doctors and staff ready for the injuries expected from the storm. Hotel staff were also needed because many people would need a place to stay. Law enforcement was essential to maintain order in the town. Residents were strongly advised to evacuate or seek refuge in the stadium. For those who chose to stay home, they were encouraged to take some old-school precautions, like filling their bathtubs with water and having hammers or axes on hand in case they got trapped in the attic.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top