Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ashlyn Westmoreland
    Participant

1.) A small group of doctors decided to meet because they wanted to come up with what they felt was a more efficient plan for evacuation. They did not agree with the withdraw of evacuation by helicopter that was made and felt that waiting for the re determination meeting planned for the following day was just waiting time. The small group of doctors decided to send Dr. Walsh and another doctor out on a finishing boat to figure out a better and quicker way to continue the evacuation.
    2.) When the conversation of euthanasia comes along it seems to be that the only doctor that stayed against the idea was Dr. Deichmann. The other doctors had convinced themselves different reasons why it could possibly be more humane. For example Susan focus on the comfort measures of the whole process and convinced herself that would be a more comfortable way to go than suffering in the hospital in the condition they were in. Dr pou and doctor cook each individually had their own reasons why they believed it was okay. I don’t know what I would think and I hope I never have to make the decision. I am not god so I dont believe I should ever have the decision to end someones life. But i am not in that situation and have never been in anything like it so who knows what i would do… maybe I would stick to that feeling and maybe I would convince myself of a reason for it to be okay.
    3.) I think tension was in the air because some people believed that other individuals were putting the lives of the animals as more of an importance than the lives of the humans they were taking care of. I don’t think euthanizing the animals made the decision to do the same to humans any easier. I know some people love their pets as family but at the end of the day ending the life of an animal through euthanasia is extremely different than ending the life of a human that way. When the life boat comes and starts allowing pets on board I think it defiantly made the decision to end the lives of others pointless. I can see though how they might have compared the reason for euthanizing animals to their reason as why they were doing the same to humans and found comfort in their decision based on that.
    4.) I feel honestly sad as the last of the patients evacuate by helicopter. I can tell by reading that the hospital was extremely unprepared and the situation was severe and out of hand but I feel like if handed properly a lot more lives could have been saved. Between the irresponsible design of the hospital with past knowledge of incompetence during storms and the bad communication the outcome of the disaster was worsened.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top