Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ashlyn Westmoreland
    Participant

1.) There were a few major decisions made that I feel saved lives. The most important decision made to save lives i felt was the nurses taking action and administering manual breaths to patients who required ventilation after the power loss. That takes a lot of physical work and im sure was extremally tiring to do but they did it in order to keep their patients a live. Another decision made was to evacuate the babies in critical care. These babies have their whole life ahead of them and wouldnt have survived the condition of the hospital. As well as patients were being evacuated through the walls directly onto the hellipad for a more time efficient evacuation. The main decision made resulting in death was the decision to leave behind patients with a DNR order. These doctors and healthcare workers were life with impossible decisions to make and im sure decision to leave anyone behind was very hard.
    2.) The man yelling in the boat was a set up in order to be used as a diversion to be able to rob people. Pets were brought to the hospital so they wouldnt be stuck at home to face the storm on their own. They were brought in by the staff members and patients who were sheltering in place. Cloverfeild was the landing pad for rescued/evacuated people. I think this is important because the landing feild was a wreck with not supplies, help or anything.
    3.)Mark Leblanc enters the hospital to save his mother and is not happy with the condition he finds her in. When he gets there she is dirty, covered in urine and no one is going to her aid. Personally I feel like he is viewing this from an outside view. He was there to see everything these nurses and doctors went through. They spent the time evacuate as many poeple as they could, taking care of all patients to the best of their ability with limited to no supplies and were left to make impossible heart breaking decisions. They were exhausted both physically and mentally. If he came in on a regular day and found her in that situation I would understand his frustration but no one was ready to handle what they just went through and they were doing the best they could.
    4.)The priority system of evacuation did in fact with within the accepted triage practices. The utilitarian approach was met by evacuation people based on their ambulatory status. They were given numbers that put them in their category. I feel like they believed they were getting the most people out that way. Personally I feel as if getting the sickest people out first would have been the best approach only because the people with less problems and more ambulation would have been able to care for themselves better than the ones that were being left behind due to DNR and the rest of the critical patients being hand administered breaths. But, I have never been in that situation so I can think I would know what I would want to do but until you face crisis head on you have no idea. I do feel though that regardless what approach was taken or decision was made lives still would have been lost. There was no good option.

This is the second time i am submitting this post, hopefully it stays this time.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top