Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

1)What did Dr. Evans learn from Hurricane Katrina to help her navigate the dilemma of the six power outlets? What questions remain?

Dr. Evans encountered a difficult situation when confronted with the challenge of only having six power outlets available during a crisis, resulting in the ability to keep only six patients on ventilators alive due to failed backup generators. This experience from Hurricane Katrina taught her the importance of providing healthcare workers with increased protection and immunity from legal actions in disaster situations. Additionally, she recognized the need for established ethical guidelines and protocols for such scenarios. To cope with the trauma and stress she faced, Dr. Evans found solace in speaking out and becoming an advocate for change within the industry.
    There are a multitude of unanswered questions surrounding this troubling situation:
    – Was there a deliberate effort by the staff, including her, to hasten the deaths of certain patients through the administration of lethal doses of drugs?
    – If this is indeed the case, what were their motivations and how did they go about selecting which patients to euthanize?
    – How did both the authorities and the public react to these accusations and subsequent investigation?
    – Considering the actions of the hospital staff, how do those who survived and the families of those who perished feel about what took place?
    – Lastly, what are the legal, ethical, and societal implications of euthanasia in emergency scenarios?

2) Put yourself in the shoes of Sheri Fink in NYC as Hurricane Sandy draws near. What changes did take place in disaster planning post Hurricane Katrina? What remains unaddressed? Why? How does this story impact your feelings about the AMA?

As Sheri Fink in New York City, during the approach of Hurricane Sandy, it would be crucial to assess the preparedness and resilience of healthcare facilities within the city. Particularly, I would direct my attention toward those located in low-lying areas that are susceptible to flooding. To gain a comprehensive understanding, I would engage in diligent documentation and investigation of the experiences and decisions made by healthcare workers and patients throughout the duration and aftermath of the storm.

After the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, several important changes were made in disaster planning. These changes include the development of comprehensive federal and state guidelines and regulations for emergency preparedness and response in healthcare facilities. Additionally, regional coalitions and networks were created to facilitate coordination and resource sharing among healthcare facilities during times of crisis. Communication systems and backup power sources were enhanced to ensure uninterrupted service in healthcare facilities. Moreover, ethical frameworks and principles were established to guide the allocation of scarce resources and prioritize patients during disasters. These measures have significantly improved disaster planning efforts, post-Hurricane Katrina.
    The field of healthcare and disaster preparedness continues to face numerous unresolved issues. Insufficient funding and incentives hinder the effective implementation and maintenance of disaster preparedness measures in healthcare facilities. Moreover, there is a lack of uniformity in disaster plans and protocols across different jurisdictions and healthcare facilities. The evacuation or sheltering of vulnerable patients, specifically those with chronic or complex conditions, disabilities, or cognitive impairments, remains a significant challenge. Additionally, addressing the legal and moral liability while ensuring the protection of healthcare workers who confront difficult choices during disasters is crucial. Lastly, it is essential to recognize the psychological and emotional toll that disasters take on healthcare workers, patients, and their families alike.

There were multiple ways in which this AMA (American Medical Association) story affected my perception. I must commend the AMA for its commitment to offering guidance, advocacy, and education to healthcare professionals when it comes to disaster preparedness and response. However, I couldn’t help but question whether the AMA could do even more to tackle the systemic and structural obstacles that hinder healthcare facilities from becoming more resilient and adaptable during disasters. Additionally, it is my fervent hope that the AMA would extend support to healthcare workers who encounter ethical, legal, or emotional difficulties because of their involvement in disaster situations.

3) Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of Maryland’s approach to disaster planning. What does Fink mean when she says that “Sometimes individual medical choices, like triage choices, are less a question of science than they are of values” (481)

Some possible strengths and weaknesses of Maryland’s approach to disaster planning are:
    Strengths:
    Maryland is well-prepared to handle emergencies with its dedicated Department of emergency management (MDEM) which effectively coordinates and supports disaster preparedness and response activities among different stakeholders.
    The state has taken proactive measures by developing and regularly updating its state hazard mitigation plan. This comprehensive plan identifies natural hazards, assesses associated risks and vulnerabilities, and proposes effective strategies and actions to enhance the state’s resilience.
    To further strengthen their efforts, Maryland actively participates in federal grant programs that provide both financial support and technical assistance for various hazard mitigation projects. These programs include the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) program, and the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) program. By leveraging these resources, Maryland continues to invest in the safety and well-being of its residents.

Challenges or Weaknesses:
    Maryland encounters numerous natural hazards, including floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, winter storms, earthquakes, landslides, and wildfires. These hazards present substantial risks to both life and property.
    The disaster plans and protocols across different jurisdictions and facilities in Maryland may exhibit variability and lack consistency. This could potentially hinder effective coordination and collaboration during times of crisis.
    The healthcare facilities in Maryland may face limitations in terms of resources and capacity to implement and sustain disaster preparedness measures. Examples include backup power sources, communication systems, evacuation plans, and adherence to ethical guidelines.

According to Fink, medical choices during disasters, including triage decisions, can often be more about values than science. Since there isn’t a definitive or objective way to determine who should receive limited resources or care, these decisions are based on the values and beliefs of healthcare workers, patients, families, and society. Different values may lead to different choices, such as prioritizing the most vulnerable, those with the highest chance of survival, those who can contribute the most, or those considered most deserving. Therefore, it’s important to understand that individual medical choices in times of crisis go beyond scientific knowledge and evidence and encompass moral and ethical principles.

4) How does this story impact your feelings about the AMA? The justice system?

There are various ways in which this story influences my perception of the AMA and the justice system. I hold a deep admiration and gratitude for the role played by the American Medical Association in providing valuable guidance, advocacy, and education to healthcare professionals regarding disaster preparedness and response. Additionally, I highly acknowledge the responsibility of the justice system to thoroughly investigate and prosecute any claims of criminal or unethical behavior exhibited by healthcare workers during such critical events.
    However, on the other hand, I find myself pondering whether both the AMA and the justice system possess sufficient capabilities to offer greater support and protection for healthcare workers who confront challenging choices and moral dilemmas amidst disasters. Furthermore, I question if these institutions truly have the expertise, authority, and legitimacy necessary to pass judgment on the actions and intentions of healthcare providers within complex and chaotic situations. Consequently, this account instills within me a sense of gratitude as well as skepticism towards both the AMA and the justice system.

5) Do you agree with the statement by Roger Bernier, “I’m not sure we believe in democracy in America” (481)? Why or why not?

I respectfully disagree with the statement made by Roger Bernier, where he states, “I’m not sure we believe in democracy in America” (481). In my view, this statement appears overly cynical and pessimistic, failing to capture the reality or ideals of American society. Democracy is an imperfect yet dynamic system that continues to evolve, necessitating continuous participation, deliberation, and compromise from all involved parties. Additionally, democracy entails upholding the rule of law, maintaining a separation of powers, implementing checks and balances, and safeguarding the human rights and civil liberties of every citizen.
    I firmly believe that most Americans embrace and uphold these principles despite potential disagreements on specific policies or issues. Furthermore, I have faith that most Americans possess both willingness and ability to engage in constructive and civil dialogue while seeking common ground and mutual understanding – especially during times of crisis or disaster. Consequently, I am confident that belief in democracy prevails in America’s core values and our ongoing efforts to enhance it for the benefit of all citizens.

6) It seems that no policy can replace swift thinking and a steady stream of hope in a crisis. To quote Fink, “Life and death in the immediate aftermath of a crisis most depends on the preparedness, performance and decision making of the individuals on the scene” (486). How can your education prepare you for making the right decisions in such a situation? What wisdom does this book offer? What will you do with it?

My education equips me with the necessary tools to make informed decisions in challenging situations. It provides me with relevant knowledge and skills that apply to my field of study and practice, empowering me to address crisis-related challenges and opportunities.
    Additionally, my education fosters critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. These skills allow me to analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information from diverse sources and perspectives, enabling me to generate creative solutions and implement effective strategies.
    Moreover, ethical reasoning and moral judgment play a crucial role in guiding my actions during times of crisis. I can identify, articulate, and justify the values and principles that underpin my decision-making process. I also recognize the importance of respecting the rights and interests of others.
    Furthermore, communication and collaboration skills are integral to my ability to navigate through challenging situations effectively. I can express myself clearly and respectfully while actively listening to other’s viewpoints. By working cooperatively with individuals who possess differing backgrounds, opinions, or goals, I can achieve productive outcomes.
    I also possess self-awareness and self-regulation skills that enable me to understand both my strengths and weaknesses. Through this understanding, I can manage my emotions appropriately while acknowledging any biases or assumptions that may influence my decision-making process.
    Lastly, lifelong learning is an essential component of my educational journey. This skill allows me to seek feedback from others, reflect on past experiences with humility, learn from mistakes made along the way, adapt to changing circumstances gracefully, as well as pursue new opportunities for personal growth and improvement.

This book provides valuable insights into the nature of disasters and their impact on society. It highlights that while disasters are unpredictable and can have devastating consequences, they also present opportunities for growth and transformation. By revealing the strengths and weaknesses of our systems and communities, disasters enable us to identify areas for improvement and innovation.
    Moreover, they showcase the resilience, courage, and compassion of individuals in challenging times. Although these events often pose difficult choices and dilemmas, they also prompt us to clarify our values, priorities, and responsibilities. Successful disaster response requires coordination among different stakeholders and relies on the preparedness, performance, and decision-making abilities of those involved on the ground. Overall, this book emphasizes the importance of understanding disasters as not just tragedies but also catalysts for positive change.

I will utilize this wisdom to inform and inspire my personal and professional objectives, endeavors, and choices. Additionally, I will employ it to acknowledge and bolster the endeavors and contributions of healthcare professionals and other individuals involved in disaster response. Moreover, I will apply it to engaging in constructive and respectful discussions with individuals who possess differing perspectives or experiences related to disasters. Lastly, I will utilize it to advocate for more efficient and fair disaster policies and practices.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top