Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Guerra
    Participant

1) Dr. Evan learns that more than just one person should be able to divide who gets the six power outlets and include not just doctors to make a choice. She also brought up the fact that patients and family members should be involved in choosing who gets the outlets. The patients and families can also be asked if they want to volunteer to give up the outlet for someone more in need.
    The questions remain who gets cut from insurance, and why aren’t patients and families more involved?

2) The changes in disaster planning post-Katrina were a better hurricane medical response and prioritizing patients.

Who to prioritize in a disaster remains unaddressed due to different opinions on who gets picked and why.
    The AMA is trying to fix specific guidelines, but there should be more involvement with different healthcare workers and patients in a disaster.

3) On page 468, the quote, “Sometimes individual medical choices, like triage choices, are less a question of science than they are of values,” by Fink, represents that fairness and outcome for a larger population are more valuable than what an outcome will be for just one person.

4) I don’t have any feelings toward the AMA, but the justice system needs work. Even though I agree with the outcome of the case, there is still a lot of justice to be made in other cases.

5) I do agree with the statement because even though we are supposed to have rights and laws, we don’t get a choice in what we want. The people of the unites states should be able to have a voice in choices instead of leaders choosing for everyone.

6) Education prepares a person to make the right decision in such a situation by teaching laws and stories and even having hands-on scenarios that help educate a person in case of an emergency. This book has taught me that education about disasters is essential. Living in New England, we don’t have disasters, but working in healthcare, there could be a situation considered a disaster. I need to educate myself more on the disasters that can occur in healthcare.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top