Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

1.I don’t think it was fair. The nurses did their best with the limited supplies they had, and Pou got in trouble for trying to do good when patient care was tough because of short staffing, lack of supplies, and a ton of patients.
    2.Fink made a point to talk about the high-profile murders and murder rate in New Orleans because there were a bunch of murders in the hospitals, especially at Memorial Hospital, where lots of patients were getting killed.
    3.When I tried to open the link, it said the page couldn’t be found.
    4.The stories from back in the day influenced my thoughts on mercy killing in both good and bad ways. Mercy killing should only happen when there’s no other choice and nursing is hard to come by. At Memorial, I think they did it with good intentions because some patients weren’t getting the care they needed, weren’t getting better, and the hospital was limited in what they could do. It was like survival of the fittest, and mercy killing saved those who couldn’t get better from more suffering. People see it differently based on the decisions made, the condition of the patients, and the supplies available.
    5.Pou’s lawyer had a tough time finding useful guidelines from the AMA on comfort care because Hurricane Katrina was so huge, and nothing like that had happened before. Even though treatment should be about respect, dignity, and what’s best for the patients, it’s almost impossible to figure out the right solution when there are so many things affecting care. Caplan didn’t think what happened at Memorial fit the definition of palliative sedation because of some rules that were put in place. After the hurricane, the AMA said they needed records of the medications given and family consultations.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top