Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Angela Burke
    Participant

It must has been extremely difficult for Sheri Fink to conduct over 500 interviews. She would have had to listen to first hand accounts of a traumatic event and not pass judgement on those who she was interviewing. I belive she must also have had to weed through what was fact from fiction as some may stretch the truth not even knowing that they are because it was so traumatic.

After reading the prologue I found myself wondering why were they so unprepared? Why had they decided that there would be people left behind from the beginning instead of assuming they would be evacuating everyone. It seems from the beginning it was survival of the fittest instead of treating each patient with the same respect. I honestly do not know what i would have done in the situation, I would hope that I would be able to just comfort people and reassure them that they were not alone if i wasn’t aloud to evacuate them all.

Exemptions from the mandatory evacuation were given to some Drs and nurses. They were to evacuate all except for the very ill. For those patients they were to stay behind and “take care” of them.

The old knowledge was that they knew if they had this type of rain fall again that the flood systems would not be able to handle the over flow of water. It had happened in the past. They also knew that the power grid would not be able to keep up with the amount of pumping they would need. They knew this because they had both failed in prior storms and yet it was never addressed correctly.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top