Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Chapman
    Participant

1. They met in the morning discussing their unhappiness at the fact that they were essentially failed by their hospital’s leadership the leadership failed to continue rescue as needed. It was during the early morning meeting they decided that basically they needed to take matters into their own hands and try to establish a better rescue effort. The morning meeting they discussed food supplies what was left and how many patients remained. They discussed what was being done with human waste and the awful stench in the hospital. The meeting seemed to end with them remaining positive that “they would all get out alive”.
    2. The discussion of euthanasia is brought up when discussing how it was being done to pets to avoid any potential suffering. What I got out of Mulderick’s idea was to heavily sedate patients so they could be comfortable and unaware of the terrible conditions they were suffering she was mis interpreted I think because she brought up the euthanasia of pets but not discussing comfort for human patients. I do not think at this point she wanted to mercy kill humans but to merely keep them comfortable. Deichmann does not feel euthanasia should even be considered. He knows it is illegal and thats that. Dr Pou I think really believes in comforting these patients as well she sees this in her cancer patients when nothing can be done for them but at least she could medicate them. I truly think Pou like Mulderick was not entertaining the thought of any kind of mercy killing. Dr Cook on the other hand was all for euthanasia or mercy killing he did not feel that simply keeping these patients comfortable or sedated even was not enough and therefore a permanent solution to end their suffering was needed. 3. When people were discussing the care for pets vs the people it seemed that some felt others were taking more thought and care into their pets than the patients. I think some nurses at this point cared more for their own pets as their pets were family but this did open the discussion as to why are we putting animals out of their misery while these human beings are left suffering literally in their own filth. I think people did start to see it from this perspective but also noting that theres heavy ethical dilemmas involved. Then to later see that the deaths of the pets proved senseless as boats were allowing pets but honestly at this point the ones who put their pets down had no idea this would happen as it had been days at this point of waiting and some of the pets were already suffering at this point so maybe it was for the best sadly. 4. I felt relief for them but sadness at what they had to endure and sad for those still waiting for help but potentially knowing they were not leaving alive…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top