Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

1.The doctors met because of the long and rough few days they were going through. They were also aware of the fact that after the rescue operations halted the chances of evacuating the patients became very slim and gathered to discuss on the next steps.
    The doctors at the meeting were unhappy that hospital leaders had turned down the chance to continue the helicopter rescue on Tuesday night into wednesday morning. They were not happy and also had a few disagreements between them . They were trying to reinforce the idea on how to evacuate the people and patients from the hospital in an organized manner.
    2.Dr. Deichmann announced the evacuation.They need to work on getting patients transferred , the sickest person first .Dr. Deichmann told there was not any need to euthanize anyone .The plan was to evacuate the people ,eventually.
    Dr.Mulderink idea to medicate the patients.
    Dr pou priority was to keep the patients comfortable and tried to help the patients who are in pain but later agree to euthanize the patients .
    When hospital got flooded Dr cook discontinued care . Dr cook is concerned administering morphine was a way of helping the patients to get out of terrible situations.
    My thoughts , They are not prepared for emergency protocols.The staff was exhausted by the situation .There was no clear information given what to be done .The decision to euthanize the patients was based on assumptions the most part.
    3.The tension between caring for pets and caring for people was the worse. Euthanize the pets or patients was difficult .Some of the staff were concerned about the patients terrible situation and they want patient to be comfortable.
    I do think Euthanizing pets made it easier for some of the medical staff to accept euthanizing patients because there is no means or space to transport the pets .
    Later boats allowed the evacuation of pets making the earlier deaths senseless because it was too late .
    4. I would feel a mix of emotions because some of the patients are able to leave the hospital and I felt bad for the patients who had died while waiting for evacuation from the hospital with doses of morphine or other pain medications. I am very happy and grateful for the staff members ,nurses and doctors who were working in these toughest situations . I have learned lot about Katrina particularly when it comes to loss of basic utilities .

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top