Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

1.Dr Evan learned several lessons from the disaster and many exercises were performed .She was terrified nearly all of the fifty patients in adult ICU relied on equipment that ran on electricity.Many were on life support .She learned that hospital should prepared for emergency protocols and there must be clear communication .
    The questions that remain are How to decide ?How would New york hospitals handle the massive demand for life support equipment’s especially ventilators? what are we going to do to rescue the patients life ?
    2. The disaster planning for post hurricane katrina there should be proper and clear communication what to be done , evacuation plans and prepared for emergency protocols.The reason is the federal, state, and local health departments in the United state had failed to prepare proper planning for emergency protocols
    This story impacts my feeling about AMA, that they don’t have a standard or policy for medical associates on how to deal with situations in times of disaster.
    3.Maryland approach to disaster planning has several advantages to support and enhance the hospitals and health care workers to provide comfort , peace and dignity to the patients.They tried to keep the patients comfortable .
    According to Fink ,different values may lead to different choices like triage choices , number of lives saved , quality of life, fairness ,social trust or other factors .Medical decisions made during crisis involves many factors and seemingly complex.
    4. The AMA is very proud of the heroic physicians and other health care professionals who sacrificed and distinguished themselves in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.AMA provide a valuable guidance and education to healthcare professionals about disaster .
    The justice system should do some investigation before taking anyone to trial .
    5. I agree with Bernier’s statement- to the reason that all medical care should reach the patients in medical facilities equally without any discrimination . So certain practices and decisions during emergency situations should need to be exercised based on public opinions and appropriate standards should be put in place.
    That way all decisions are made for the welfare of all patients equally taking in account the resources, extent of shortages and accountability.
    6.This story educates me how to prepare during disaster and what protocols is to be followed during similar situations.
    Doctors and nurses were working together and doing their best even though they are running out of supplies . They were helping the patients till the end .
    I can’t imagine myself how to manage in that situation before reading this book . After I read I got a knowledge how to deal and what are the protocols to be done and how to prepared myself .

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top