the five styles of writing

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Natalie Hernandez
    Participant

Narrative, Analytical, Expository, Persuasive, and Argumentative; these are the five types of writing. Though all forms of writing have a beginning, middle, and ending, each style has a different composition to it.

Narrative writing is a way to tell a story, fiction or nonfiction, a focus on what happened somewhere or to someone. Novels, short stories, and memoir or any form of biographies are examples of narrative writing. Plots, or chains of events, organizes the writing in a timeline, although some novelists like to change this at times to keep readers engaged by revealing certain events that happen at one point in time, in a different point in time using dramatic irony, plot twists and surprise endings.

Analytical writing, evaluative and critical, is used mostly in academic settings to explain and to put in context basic information for the benefit of a reader. Using a simple five(or more)-paragraph structure, analytical writing can help students grow their writing skills as they demonstrate the thought process they go through to arrive at a given conclusion.

Expository writing is a form of writing used to explain a topic or subject, answering the questions: WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHY? and HOW? Textbooks, Case studies, News articles, all examples of expository writing, are written using facts and resources. As a form used to inform readers and help form their own opinion, personal views and opinion shouldn’t be included by the writer.

Recommendation letters, marketing materials, and Political campaign speeches are one form or other of Persuasive writing. Used to get readers to accept a certain opinion or idea as the best one, writers use cite evidence supporting their views. Whether its objective or subjective arguments, also relying on either moral arguments, character judgments, or religious beliefs, the writer’s goal is to get readers to hopefully agree with the material.

Argumentative writing, relying heavily on hard evidence, quotes, and other studies and sources, is similar to persuasive writing; the goal being to convince others that your side of the argument is the correct side. Examples of this would be a lawyer’s closing argument in a hearing: using the facts, evidence, and statements from sources (witnesses or professional officials) they argue and try to convince the jury to vote in their favor.

Using the knowledge about these five forms of writing, depending on what my topic is or why I write , determines my style of writing. Most of the time I use either an analytical style or expository. When I first took an interest in writing, I thought I would do a lot of narrative, but over the years analytical writing has seemed to become my strong route. There’s something about using the simple structure, an introduction paragraph, followed by a paragraph for each topic introduced filled with supporting information and a simple transition from one to the other, and concluded with a summary of key points, that opens my creative flows and allows me to express myself in a somewhat free form.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.