Module 15: Final Discussion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nicole Stuhlmiller
    Participant

What did Dr. Evans learn from Hurricane Katrina to help her navigate the dilemma of the six power outlets? What questions remain? The dilemma of the six power outlets for the 50 ICU patients on ventilators and IV drops. The question remained: which of the 6 will get an outlet?
    Put yourself in the shoes of Sheri Fink in NYC as Hurricane Sandy draws near. What changes did take place in disaster planning post-Hurricane Katrina? I believe a lot was learned out of emergency management post-Katrina. What remains unaddressed? The question is what exactly is disaster medicine protocol? What health care workers can now implement? How do we prioritize patients? Who lives and who does? Why? Some aspect of decision-making starts with the value system that was implemented…such as who gets a vent in a pandemic? No terminal cancer, no kidney patients etc. How does this story impact your feelings about the AMA? I am disappointed in the AMA. I feel like it’s very political and less humane.
    Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of Maryland’s approach to disaster planning. What does Fink mean when she says, “Sometimes individual medical choices, like triage choices, are less a question of science than they are of values” (481) Maryland’s disaster approach makes sense…but as a humanitarian, it stings. I understand serving those with a better chance of survival. I don’t have to like it.
    How does this story impact your feelings about the AMA? The justice system? I am disappointed in both the AMA and the justice system. Both are flawed.
    Do you agree with the statement by Roger Bernier, “I’m not sure we believe in democracy in America” (481)? Why or why not? I agree with that statement. There is no true democracy. How can there be? There are too many different viewpoints on what others believe is fair or just. Control the narrative and you control the outcome.
    It seems that no policy can replace swift thinking and a steady stream of hope in a crisis. To quote Fink, “Life and death in the immediate depend most On the preparedness, performance and decision making of the individuals on the scene” (486). How can your education prepare you for making the right decisions in such a situation? What wisdom does this book offer? What will you do with it? I agree 100% with the quote! It’s so very true. Be prepared or prepare to fail. Yes, critical situations can throw major learning curves. That said, a basic skeletal system of ethical questions should be known and prepared for. This book was eye-opening for me. I had no idea that this was even happening. This topic has really made me think and ponder the what if’s, what would or could I do.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.