Final Module

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brigette Robichaud
    Participant

1. I believe Dr. Evans learned how to decide which patients were sick enough, or had the best survival rate, to make use of the six outlets for the ventilators. The question that still remains is how do you truly choose who gets life saving measures and who doesn’t.

2. Some changes I noted were the hospitals evacuating patients sooner and making sure they have everything they need to survive the storm. An issue that remains unaddressed is how to determine which patients get life saving measures. I feel the AMA tries to help the nursing and hospital staff but at the end of the day, they are not the ones who are helping patients during a natural disaster.

3. Maryland’s approach to disaster planning was to plan more the unexpected before it happened. I believe Fink was trying to say hospital staff are more willing to help anyone who comes in during an emergency rather than turn them away due to extreme circumstances.

4. I feel the AMA has health care workers best interest at heart from a cost effect point of view. The justice system, at least from the book and knowledge of today’s world, truly have no idea what it takes to work in healthcare and the life-or-death choices people are forced to make.

5. I do agree with Roger Bernier’s statement. In today’s America, those who are higher up in the judicial branch of law making, pass laws they think are in the best interest of the country, but that is not always the reality.

6. My education can prepare me in many ways to make critical judgment calls, but only real-world working experience will truly prepare me. This book shines a light on the parts of nursing no one really talks about. The parts like having to choose which patients to evacuate and which ones to let pass with dignity.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.