Discussion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brigette Robichaud
    Participant

1. Some of the key decisions that kept patients alive in this chapter was choosing to helicopter some of the patients out of the hospital. The one who had the opportunity to leave survived. Another key part was the dedication of the healthcare workers. They persevered through the heat and darkness, ventilating patients by hand and carrying them up flights of stairs.

2. In the middle of the night a man showed up telling people that boats were there to rescue them and that they had 30 minutes until they left. When they went down to see the boats, Karen stopped them and said the man was lying. When people came back upstairs, they noticed things were missing and believed the man only said that to steal from them. People brought pets to the hospital because they are a part of their family.

3. When Marc came into the hospital, he was only seeing it as an outside point of view. He did not take into consideration all the things the nurses and doctors had been though in the last 48 hours.

4. No, evacuating patients did not fit within accepted triage practices. In triage you are supposed to treat the sickest patient first, then the least critical last. The hospital did the opposite. I do not agree with the utilitarian approach, I believe if the sickest patients had been helicoptered out of the hospital first, they would have had a much better chance of surviving. I feel the best approach for organ sharing is to give the organ to the patient with the best chance of survival, their fore the organ does not go to waste.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.