Discussion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Ouellette
    Participant

Overall I believe the most important element was time. The staff at Memorial expected at least some of these disasters to happen and planned accordingly. Especially with those on ventilators who were in such a fragile position, not only from outside factors but also working in the dark meant they could move their tubes unknowingly. It was crucial they get them out as soon as possible, but they accidentally waved away several helicopters that could have taken them to safety.

It’s unclear who exactly the man with the boats was, but seeing things go missing soon after he leaves means he was likely a looter like the radio had warned about. His only condition was to leave the pets that had been brought because they couldn’t survive on their own. The boats would have been able to take them to Cloverleaf Interchange, outside the flood zone, to take the most critical people to an ambulance. Which makes it especially disappointing in my opinion

While Mark is viewing this as an outsider, I can still understand his frustrations. The conditions in the city were only getting worse and people come to hospitals for help. Instead he was greeted by an exhausted staff and their families who had all been through their own series of challenges in the last few days while trying and sometimes failing to save lives.

While I don’t agree with the utilitarian approach, I also believe you should be more than prepared for a natural disaster. Delegating tasks on a moment’s notice is very tricky and sensitive. These were not the ordinary triage practices and I don’t think they were best decided on short notice.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.