Discussion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Hannah Daigle
    Participant

1.) One major key decision that helped keep patients alive were the doctors and nurses flying with the patients to keep breathing for them. Dr. Gershanik and one of the nurses took flight with the two sick babies to keep them warm and keep breathing for them, since the incubators could not fit on the helicopter, and they survived. And all the other patients that were transported with the nurses remained alive. The willpower of these healthcare workers kept people alive, carrying them up flights of stairs, fanning them too cool them down saved the patients lives. What killed patients were when they decided to keep the most sick in the hospital and transport the least sick patients. Once the generators blew, the sickest patients only had hours with their ventilators until the batteries ran out, once they did the patients had no chance of survival as they weren’t leaving the hospital.

2.) A man in fatigues woke everyone up sleeping telling them to get downstairs to the boats to be rescued, they were leaving in thirty minutes and no pet allowed, everyone started to panic but as they were heading down the stairs Karen stopped them, told everyone to go back upstairs and there were no boats. As everyone went back upstairs they noticed things were missing. They believe the man was lying and came up to steal items and leave. Pets of workers and family members were brought to the hospital because they are part of their family and wanted nothing bad to happen to them, so they evacuated to the hospital with their owners.

3.) Marc walked in and viewed only as an outsider perspective. He did not know what those healthcare workers had gone through in the last 48 hours. But, when he found out they did not plan to transport his mother because she was a DNR I understand his frustration. I don’t understand why he first walked in and complained about what he had seen, how the hospital itself looked and felt, because they cannot control that when they have no power or AC. If he hadn’t come and rescued his mother, she would have died in MMC.

4.) The priority system did not fit within the triage practices. Triage practices are to take care of the critically ill first, and the patients who are stable, triage them last. The hospital did the opposite and helped the less sick first. I don’t believe the utilitarian approach is right. I agree with help the sickest first then the most stable. If the nurses and doctors helped the patients on ventilators first to evacuate the ones who died may still have been very well alive. For Organ Sharing I am in between on what approach would be best. On one hand I think the sickest should be helped first and should get the organ for a chance of survival. On the other hand, what if that patient is so critically ill they get the organ but still pass, and the organ donation was basically wasted when someone could of got it and lived. All of the requirements to get onto the transplant list, is probably to prevent situations like that from happening.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.