Chapter 9 Discussion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Busayo Asebioyo
    Participant

1) Based on what I read in the 60 Minutes Show, it is not fair for Dr. Pou and the other two nurses to be dealing with criminal charges after what they have done to ensure patients were cared for in that terrible situation at the Memorial Hospital. According to Dr Pou, she is not capable of mercy killing and does not believe in euthanasia. If Dr. Pou was being truthful with all she said in that 60 Minutes Show, I think she was treated unjustly.

2) Fink includes information about high-profile murders and the murder rate in the city to show that priorities were misplaced by the city district attorney’s office because they put more effort and attention in prosecuting the doctor and nurses from Memorial when so many violent criminals were threatening the city. The resources used in the Dr Pou and nurses prosecution could be used for the alarming security issues facing the city.

3) The episode of Boston Legal was favorable to Dr Pou and her case. The episode portrayed Dr Pou as innocent and also earned her more public support.

4) I think Hippocrates’s thoughts stated below is more appropriate.
    “I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan….”
    Medical professional should be concentrate in caring and curing, not killing. I understand that some patients situation may be worst most especially terminal ill patients, but we should still care for them and do what we can to relieve their pain without applying the mercy killing method. In my opinion, no medical institutions and governments should allow mercy killing. Just like what happened in early 1940s in Germany where about 200,000 people with mental illnesses or physical disabilities were executed due economic hardship after World War I, if mercy killing is allowed it could result into unnecessary killing of people due to lack of resources and others reasons.

5) Dr. Pou’s attorney couldn’t find useful guidelines from the AMA on comfort care during disasters because the consultation with patients family members and documentation of the medications given to patients that was called out in the AMA guideline were not followed by his client (Dr. Pou). The attorney was frustrated because he couldn’t find anything in the AMA guidelines he could use to defend Dr. Pou in courtroom.
    Arthur Caplan’s opinion was that what happened at Memorial Hospital did not fit within the purview of palliative sedation precisely because of AMA guidelines and was not convinced that the sole option to relieve any pain or suffering was to kill.
    After the Hurricane Katrina AMA decide to delegates voted to create model legislation to shield disaster doctors from civil and criminal prosecution, also strengthen existing efforts to oppose criminal prosecution of doctors by adding an emphasis on doctors in emergencies.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.